Thursday, March 19, 2009

Mickey D's isn't even hiring...

I've been through much in my nearly 29 years on this planet, but this job hunt has to be one of the ugliest periods of my life. All I've heard since I graduated from Grambling State University this past December is how awful the job market is. Couple that with the fact that I graduated with a BA in Mass Communications and you see how bad my job hunt is going. I've almost completely given up on the prospect of finding any jobs in the media, moreover; every other application that I've sent out has been met with an email that says in no uncertain terms that I'm the opposite of who they want for the position.
Now, I'm not on a soapbox crying about my damn luck, but lets be real; the job market is on crack right now! It has gotten so bad for yours truly that at one point, I went to my neighborhood McDonalds where I got quite the surprise. They weren't even hiring, and they probably won't be for a few months. I also set up accounts on Monster and various employment sites, but those sites have only shown me that the only jobs available out there are commission based and military careers for people that sign up. Give me a break.
For all the struggling I did to get to the point where I would be among the minority in this country who have a college degree, a cold reality has been dropped at my feet. I worked hard to get in debt, basically. I know people tell me that my luck will change, but somehow, I'm starting to think that I got pimped by the "American Dream."
Pray for me, and if you know anybody who needs an award-winning columnist in their back pocket, refer them to your boy.

I'm looking at it like this, though: If a vision impairment, Hurricane Katrina, and life below the poverty line can't break me, neither will this bitch of a job market...

No comments:

Post a Comment